Saturday, July 31, 2010

With Child

I temporarily channeled my less-than-nice side into relief from my feet pounding the pavement, but I'm ready to connect with my inner f-bomb again.

My mother-in-law is going to be a great-grandmother. Irony of ironies--GREAT-grandmother. Ha. If 'great' grandparenting skills involve seeing your grandchildren less than 10 times in their lives and maybe, maybe, sending a text for a birthday wish, then that woman is great. Her email to my husband said "I found out/discovered on Facebook that Sarah (her lesbian oldest daughter's child) is with child. Tara (claimed daughter, full sister of my husband)says that Laura (lesbian oldest daughter)has a chronic lump in her throat. I might call/text later to feel it out."

Here are my issues:
1. Who the hell uses a term like "with child" without a hint of humor?
2. Really, if anyone normal found out from FACEBOOK that their grandchild was with child would it be admitted in such a blase' way? Is there no feeling of being ashamed?
3. The complete lack of emotional response to finding that a grandchild (I use this term only technically) is having a child is appalling. She is single. She is without an education. Perhaps a little concern, excitement, something might be appropriate?
4. I sure the hell hope that I can provide some genuine concern to my child/children when they are grown. Remember, this is her first-born. The oldest child that she abandoned. I suppose in light of your mom leaving when you are 8, a text to ask how you are feeling is considerate, heh?

She really disgusts me. Really freaking disgusts me. The lack of sincere emotion turns my stomach, leaving it roiling in a greasy, hungover feeling.. . . or maybe that's the leftovers from the last cocktail of the evening. Either is possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment