Thursday, June 10, 2010

Bumper Sticker Faith

I'm 99% sure that if one's religious dogma can be summed up on a bumper sticker, it's over-simplified and dumbed down enough to make the person feel superior and safe. This is the sort of religion practiced by my mother-in-law. The kind of belief system that is founded on acting nice to earn Heaven Points. The lady has to do her best to earn Heaven Points because of the travesties she visited on her children. I feel certain, somewhere she has a hidden "In Case of the Rapture, this Car Will be Unattended" or "My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter" bumper sticker, just waiting to pop it on to show others her moral superiority.

It would take far too long in one post to list the sins of that mother, but the simple version is that she abandoned three children. Abandoned.Her.Children. Not the sibling group that produced my husband, this was before him. This was when she came home to find her husband in bed with another woman and decided to leave. Leave her children with a man she deemed not worthy of continued marriage. I know this story will likely continue to resurface here. But this is why that woman who I would like NOT to claim as my mother-in-law needs Heaven Points. Stat. And finds that being extra pious and judgy gets her just the points she needs, people that get in her way be damned.

No comments:

Post a Comment